Franco said:
Quote:
"Personally I like the 8" Easton but also use Ti nail stakes, Y stakes and thin Ti shepherds hook type and snow stakes in winter..."

Interesting to me to see a list of four stake types that doesn't include my favorite: MSR Needle stakes. Pretty light yet pretty strong, I can sort of interlock sets of four or six so that there are just no sharp edges or points when packing them into a very space-efficient bundle, and they have decent holding power. In a great deal of use, I've only ever bent one, and it took quite a bit to do it.

Easton's are hollow, and too often it seems that I hit a rock, forget what stake type I'm using and pound a bit too much and crunch the stake. Y stakes indeed tend to rip up me or my gear, or both. I've little experience with nail stakes, but wonder what kind of holding power they have relative to the weight. I've used the thin shepherd stakes and carry them on occasion but am not impressed with holding power.

For me, at least, the MSRs are a good balance of factors for general use. If the MSR won't hold it alone, time to get a rock or a log or ad hoc deadman involved.