I'm going through a similar selection process because I want a new tent. I can't buy the tent today, but it's fun to decide on which one I'd like to have in the future. grin I feel like I'm settled on getting a Tarptent, but I don't know which one. It been a two horse race between the Notch and Moment. I like the Notch for its dual side entries and it looks like a better tent to vent. The feature where you can set up the rain fly and attach the bug net on inside during a rain is cool. The Moment cannot get wet on the inside during set up, least the way he set it up in the video on his website made it appear that way.

However, I'm fairly certain I will be using my hammock in the warmer months. I need a tent for places like Southwest Virgina and Roan Highland where there are bald ridges to camp on. I will likely use the tent for winter more than the hammock, so potential snow needs to be taking into consideration. This is where the Moment shines. Having an extra crossing pole increase snow loading capabilities and stability in event of high wind on bald mountains, theoretically.

I really don't want to spend over $300 for a non-mountaineering tent. Especially since the tent will be splitting time with the hammock and only getting used for certain weather conditions. I just don't know about using my hammock at high elevation where site selections can be limited. I get that feeling the wind will take my tarp off like a sail...Oh, well.

Edited by ETSU Pride (01/21/13 10:42 AM)