I fully agree about brand names; again, the only reason I chose all the examples from the Big Agnes line was that their "compare" feature made it real easy to pick 5 tents with various combinations of features, print out the statistics, and then type up the problem (I don't do well flipping from one window to another - as I said elsewhere, I'm old.) There was absolutely no intention to imply a brand preference.

I like the way you indicated how your choice would differ from mine: your needs ("I often have to set up/take down the tent in the rain.") are different from mine.

I also like your definition of freestanding; in the example I gave, two take a minimum of 4 stakes, are workable with 6, and use 8 for an optimal setup; the rest take more than 8 to set up properly.

The last full-blown, real-life selection process I went through (2 years ago) had me selecting between the MSR Carbon Reflex, the Tarptent Rainbow (which I consider freestanding because the ability to incorporate the poles is intentionally designed into it), the MSR Hubba, and the Copper Spur UL1. I eliminated the Copper Spur because of weight and (in that year's model) a rather clumsily-designed side entrance. The Tarptent Rainbow was actually my first purchase, but it heated up too much (which is a result of Ohio weather, not any design problem with the tent.) I replaced it with the Carbon Reflex, choosing it over the Hubba based solely on weight. (I mildly regretted that decision one night on the side of Mt. Rogers, in the open, with 30 mph winds.) The Carbon Reflex did everything I wanted it to do, but eventually I decided it just didn't have enough livability (shoulder room), and began looking again. The Hubba wasn't a candidate because it was a Carbon Reflex clone with a different frame. I ended up revisting the Copper Spur (because a design change made entering and leaving the tent more straightforward), but took a look at the Fly Creek only because it was so much lighter.

One important point: any of those tents would work. They are all well-made, highly functional tents. In the end, the decision was not quality related, but only related to convenience and comfort in MY hands. And I might be a whole lot more finicky than the next guy, which means I might over-think the whole thing.

Perhaps the last take-away from my own real-life selection process is: no matter how hard you try, you probably won't get it right the first time. smile