When I made my quilt, I followed Jeremy's advice from the thru-hiker link I gave above. He suggested to set up a free standing tent in your house and take everything you need into the tent. So in I went with:

1. my quilt shell
2. scale for weighing the down to determine how much went into each baffle
3. plastic bags for holding the premeasured amount of down for each baffle after weighing
4. clothespins for holding each baffle closed after filling the baffles
5. sewing machine for finishing up the job
6. vacuum cleaner

Down gets everywhere!

I agree with spock on the quills. Generally, 600 fill is a lower quality and may have more quills in it. If I were making a new shell for it, I wouldn't use any of the ultralight fabrics. A good 1.1 or 1.9 oz shell will be cheaper and keep the down from leaking better.

One thing I learned the hard way is that you need to overstuff your baffles by 10 or 20%. I put in exactly how much down I calculated would fill the space of the baffle. It works great the first couple of nights of a trip, but after that the down starts to loose loft from perspiration and such and it starts to thin out. At some point I am going to open the top 4 or 5 baffles on my quilt and stuff in some more down.... but I dread working with that stuff again.