ETSU, each map is read similarly to a topo map. The jet stream pattern shows shades of gray where the "jet stream" is, and the global wave height map does the same thing only in color (deep blue is very small waves and red are large waves). As an example, the deep blue along the southern California coast means that the waves really suck right now wink and my son verified that for me this morning.

Just an amature here, btw. Here is one from Jan 2 with a similar pattern.

Here is near the start of the current one.

Heather, these sure look like an Omega pattern to me. I like to call them ox- bows because the way the form and dissipate reminds me of a meandering river (I also probably do it because of a personality defect). I've likened the jet stream hitting the west coast to a person holding the hose on the ground, but 3 feet back from the nossle and with the water on full blast. If you have a little time, check out this site

Jet Stream Map Menu

Go to the archive function up top and create a 30 day simulation of what happened the last part of Dec and in early Jan. Pretty interesting stuff.

So ... as an aside, we cannot post animation on this site such as the one created at the site above?

Edited by skcreidc (01/15/13 04:42 PM)