When it comes to navigating in the outdoors, I am inclusive. When I have my choice of GPS, topo maps, and or aerial photos, I routinely choose all of the above. A lot of my outdoors navigation has involved locating and mapping archaeological sites (what is known as " archaeological survey"). Nothing beats looking at a photo and recognizing the tree or rocks you are standing under. Each tool has its own best characteristics and uses. I do find that in areas of fairly rugged relief that a compass doesn't get used all that much.But when you need it, you really need it.

I worked for a time in and around Canyon de Chelly, and it lead to some interesting navigation experiences. Navigation in the sheer, sinuous canyons was dead simple. Just count the bends in the route and you can fix your position precisely; unique landmarks abound. But climb out of the canyons and different procedures apply. You are on a sloping, flat plateau with a thick pinyon-juniper woodland all crisscrossed by truck trails (that are not on maps and may not even be present on recent photos). Break out the compass and mind the declination! Sometimes on the plateau you could be within fifty feet of a major drainage before you were able to see it. But once there, you could usually get an absolute fix.

Besides, well made topo maps are absolute works of art as well as nostalgic reminders of good trips, nifty climbs, and daring deeds...

After de Chelly, I worked in the Channel Islands - compasses rule! On the water, don't even think of leaving the harbor without a functioning compass. In storms or foggy weather that restricts visibility, you compass will become invaluable.