Jim, I remember a few years ago, when we had the TLB backpack up Eagle Creek, that you wanted to drive to Wahtum Lake via roads showing on Google Maps that have been closed to vehicle traffic for many years. I have found so many inaccuracies on Google maps that I would never trust them! I also shudder at the many people who have been lost/stranded in rural and mountainous areas by following the GPS in their cars onto closed/abandoned roads. Some of those people have died!

I triangulate with topo map and compass every time I'm on a high point. Partly for practice, but mostly because I enjoy identifying the peaks and other prominent features. Besides, it's a good excuse to stop for a rest, something I find myself doing a lot more of these days!

In more open country I can usually go by the map without using a compass. Over here on the west side of the Cascades, though, the forests are dense, the canyon walls high and low clouds too frequent! Besides, moss grows on all sides of the trees around here!

I generally have a pretty good feel for the the direction in which I'm going. The big exception was when I emerged from the Paris metro about 11 pm the same day I flew there from the US. Nothing like a combination of jet lag and traveling underground to completely remove any sense of direction! If a friendly passer-by hadn't stopped to help, I'd probably still be looking for the hotel!

As I've mentioned before, the last thing I need is another electronic gadget requiring batteries and a learning curve. So no GPS for me! I'm still trying to puzzle out the instruction manual for the camera I was given in 2007!

Back in my day, they taught us to read maps in school. I don't see that happening with my grandkids, though. Makes me wonder what, if anything, the schools are teaching! All three are going to have map/compass games with me next weekend!

If you look at the "Ten" Essentials article on the home page here,, you'll see this"
Quote:
The point is to carry a map appropriate for the area you will be in and the activity you will be undertaking--and know how to use it.!!
(Emphasis mine)

Edited by OregonMouse (01/13/13 08:27 PM)