Right back at you, from another old Ohio hiker! I've hiked many of the same trails that you have, and even know where Mechanicsburg is - I'll be driving right through it on Route 4 about 7am tomorrow, on my way to Columbus from Eaton, where I live.

It's a bit far, but there's a group called Dayton Hikers (www.daytonhikers.org) that run a number of backpacking trips throughout the year. It's a good bunch of folks, and we're always looking for more. This year, I've joined them for a beginner's trip (they always like to have a few old hands to leaven the loaf, so to speak) and a trip on the Sheltowee Trace along the Rockcastle River near London, KY. Andy Niekamp, the organizer, is a great guy, and does a superb job leading these trips.

A backpacking shop in Miamisburg (southern suburb of Dayton) also sponsors trips, mostly on the Twin Valley Trail, which is a 35 mile trail split into two loops with a connector between them. It's not spectacular, but it's close, in the woods, and great for weekends. The shop is also running a trip to Hoosier National Forest on the March 1 weekend, if you'd like to add a third state to your resume. Check out Great Miami Outfitters' website (www.greatmiamioutfitters.com) for the details.

Maybe we'll meet on the trail somewhere!