Some people cannot read maps at all, and to them a topo map is worthless. Someplaces there is only level terrain and topology will not help you navigate. To many people who operate in terrain with easily identifiable landmarks, a topo is just extra weight, something to start a fire with. Unless you can see the sun to orient a topo, its pretty much worthless without a compass. Also trails change and making assumptions about trails [possibly based on false or outdated information on the topo] and where they go, just might get you into more trouble than not having that bad information. When was that topo updated?

I carry a printout of a satelite photo from google Earth of the area I am going into. The photo helps find my position better than a map. And finally, even if you are in mountainous country, the angle from which you are looking can make you think you are triangulating off something that you are not - you may think the shoulder of a mountain is the peak of another.

As much as people enjoy putting down GPS, a GPS, map and compass is about the only reliable way to actually locate yourself when completely lost and then find your way home. Sometimes I carry a small backup compass, like on my jacket zipper pull, to back up the compass in my GPS.

Perhaps putting it this way will help. Ever been in a corn maze? Ifyou had a map and compass, how would that help you? How would you use that map and compass. This may sound silly as a comparison, but maybe you should go sit on a mountain with your compass and map and see if you CAN triangulate a position. I failed to do it, even though I knew exactly where I was, I could not draw crossed lines to show my position. And by the way, why does the compass seem to turn relative to the north? Perhaps understanding declination is a critical skill to topo navigation.

My bottom line is :A map and compass are almost worthless to someone untrained, yet we tell everyone they need one even if it has no value them - the drill instructor atitude. Lets admit that maybe 5% of campers know what declination is and have a compass and map and a vague idea of how to use it. The other 95% are left with no help at all from the traditional map and compass atitude. My GPS has saved my butt atleast 3 times and helps me find the waypoint where I left my truck, using the topo is what got me lost in the first place. A topo has no more value to most people than an axe.

People should LOOK where they are going and then LOOK for landmarks when they return - Danial Boone didn't have no map ner compass, and he were a might befuddled oncet, but never lost...

Jim grin