I know, but backpacker's forums don't actually provide me with anything helpful for my trip.

Put it this way, I'm travelling the world. I ain't flying no where unless I need to hop over to the US and Canada. And even then, I'd try and get a ship across if possible.
My main means of travel is walking or hitchhiking, or public transport. I'm not just hostel jumping, I'm also out there staying a few nights outdoors. At the minute, i'm in Europe, so nothing exciting. But end of this year I head down through to the South of Africa.
I need to be able to survive outside for long enough to make it to my next stop. But I'm also trying to keep my backpack as light as possible with only the bare necessities. That also goes for whilst I travel around Europe.

Of course this trip requires a bit from all scenarios: camping, hiking, backpacking, etc. hence why I've posted here. Even survival to some extent. So i'm trying to find out, from people who are experienced in these areas, to help me work out what I can get rid of, and what I should keep. As well as anything vital I should get, if that is the case. But start of with what I can shed.

Until the end of summer in the northern hemisphere, I will be in Europe. As winter approaches, I'll be making my way to South Africa, which will obviously be a warmer trip. Obviously campers tend be in one place at any given time, so advice from hikers would be the best. But more from those that do the ultra long hikes, requiring the sleeping accessories...

Hopefully that is enough info...

And I'm South African