Originally Posted By skcreidc

Reading a topo map takes practice in the field. There is no other way to do it other than the direct application of "where are you on the map?". And in a lot of cases, you should be able to do this even without a compass. I very rarely use my compass in mountainous terrain; its all map reading. You know your starting point and follow your progress on the map going in and out as you move...piece of cake with some practice. In flat terrain you have to have a compass for any real accuracy. My take on it for what it's worth.

Chris

Amen brother. smile With my scouts, I actually start them out with a neighborhood map with streets and house plots. I print off the google neighborhood map and then put a dot on a property. Then I tell them to go find that house and write down the address. Some can do it the first time, but with others, it takes practice. Then, on campouts, we use the topo maps and I try and help them see where they are on the map. The same thing usually occurs. Some get it just by looking, with others, it is like teaching them calculus.