Quote:
In my opinion, a topographical map is virtually useless without a compass and the skills to use it. If you don't believe me, bring the wrong map someday for a similar trail and see how easily people will locate themselves on it.

That's pretty funny. I am sure it wouldn't take me too long to figure that out, but I can think of situations where I might venture a guess.

A topo map can be used without a compass. I've been on a ridge and oriented the map with peaks on a distant ridge, and I've been in creek bottoms and lined it up with bends in the creek. Either way I can locate my position fairly accurately with no compass needed, providing I know my starting point.

I know a lot of people that ramble off trail with no map or compass or gps. They navigate by memorizing terrain and landmarks. Thats how I started bushwhacking. Now I generally keep my GPS on, but I only look at it occasionally. I'm more interested in reviewing the statistical data and my track on a map when I get back.

I've had 3 out of 4 Garmin GPSs die for no apparent reason. The last one was only 18 months old. This has convinced me beyond any doubt not to trust them.

600 yards is a lot for GPS to be off. That can happen if you've just turned them on and take a reading as soon as it offers one, or if you've had it buried in your pack where it wasn't getting a signal. In most of those cases you just need to wait a few minutes while it works on listening to the satellites.

I fired up my gps once and it showed me to be someplace in China. That had me confused for a few moments. I restarted it and it made better sense when it calculated my position that time.

"You want to go where?"