Yesterday, my GPS showed me over 600 yards from my car when I was standing next to it. There was no user error. I marked a waypoint at my car before I left. I erased all the other waypoints before doing it.

The topographical map was useless because I left it home for a compass only navigation exercise bushwhacking in a safe wooded area.

What got me back to the car was compass only navigation.

Here is where I come across badly. In my opinion, a topographical map is virtually useless without a compass and the skills to use it. If you don't believe me, bring the wrong map someday for a similar trail and see how easily people will locate themselves on it.

In my opinion, a good way to learn to use a topographical map and compass is to stop once every 20 minutes and define your location 7 different ways. (NOLS recommends 5, but they miss the two easiest ones.) The first time, it may take 20 minutes at each stop. With practice, you can do it without stopping.

In my opinion, learning to use a topographical map sitting in front of a computer is impossible. It has to be done in the field either with a teacher, or with an individual taking things very slowly. 40 foot contour intervals can hide a lot of impassible terrain.

People who do not have excellent compass and map skills should stay close to well marked trails at all times. This may be controversial. Most of the reports I read of people getting lost in Colorado are above the treeline where it should be easy to navigate. Most often, they leave a friend behind while they climb "a short distance" to the summit of a mountain. Often one of them doesn't make it home.

I used a lot of disclaimers because I often approach things in a different way than others.

That's my 2 Trillion dollar coin's worth.