Just to clarify, I haven't seen an MD in over a decade, but I have seen a naturopath and a chiropractor many times in that period. Luckily for me, my ailments are usually quite simple and straightforward and well within the purview of these practitioners. I trust them.

I also agree that it is vital that we act responsiby by forming and following habits designed to keep us healthy and avoiding those which usually lead to poor health. The basics of this are so clear that everyone knows them: exercise, eat a balanced diet, go easy on the legal drugs like alcohol and caffeine, and wash your hands. Basic stuff, but not always easy.

But, as the OP reminds us, our bodies are complex and they can go haywire on us, even if we lead a 'healthy lifestyle'. At that point, medical help is necessary. Getting the right help requires patience and luck. There are few silver bullets and huge quantities of conflicting information. It can be quite a maze. I wish nothing but the best to anyone who enters that maze. It can be a confusing place to be in.