So it can do email? That's good to know. I also like the part that one can read the local paper.

It does OK with gmail and yahoo. I understand that is does not do as well on some other systems. Your local paper must support the Kindle format. Mine does and I get digital access as part of my regular subscription.

What model do you have? I saw an older Kindle keyboard on ebay at what looks to be a pretty good price.

I have a Kindle 2 which is a keyboard and a Kindle 4 ($69). The 2 operates on 3G w/ no extra connection charge. The 4 operates on WiFi. The 4 is much smaller and lighter than the 2 but has the same size screen. For what I use it for the 4 does what I want it to do. People keep wanting more storage but I cannot read 1400 books before I can access the cloud to take off some books and load others. People all seem to want a desktop computer and and Ipad all in a 3 oz package for under $100.

I was actually wanting it more for work related travel than backpacking, but let's leave that option open (smile).