Lori- my little scissors are high quality and cut cord, moleskin, and just about anything I need to cut. I have not had any need to cut tubular webbing. Were I to take tubular webbing that may need to be cut, I would take something suitable to cut it! I am much more adept at scissors than a knife. Jim- I think the need to sew stuff has a lot to do with how long you are out. I am often out 12+ days and things do rip and need to be sewn. The needle comes in real handy to take out slivers too, or pop a blister (I know first aid people say not to do this, but it sometime is needed). I do use the duct tape sparingly, but have an anciet down jacket that has very artsy duct tape patches all over it!

Jim - what are hydrogel burn pads? Do you get them at a drug store?

I think the point is that those of us who are out a lot, end up taking what we use and need. Each of us has different circumstances, thus different needs. A lot of those little things are really handy but not absolutely necessary. If I take ALL of them, my ditty bag starts weighing over a pound and half! You sort of get on a slippery slope adding stuff. Packing for any particular trip is always a game of choosing wisely.

But, over all, I think the "Ten Essentials" has been good for beginners over the years and probably has saved some lives. I think the Ten Essential list is more important for day hikers because few think they ever would have to spend the night out.