to me "layering" means bringing too many thin heavy layers rather than clthing specific to the job

If that is going to be the definition, then i'm against it, too!!

For me, the definition of layering is much closer to what BZH said a couple of posts back. A good layering system is one that gives you flexibility to meet conditions as they change. If you can be certain that conditions will remain very stable and predictable, then you can know specifically what "the job" is that your clothing must do ahead of time and choose precisely what clothes will do that specific job. You put them on. You keep them on. You are happy. End of story.

But knowing just what to expect is a luxury and a lot of times the weather changes, temperatures change, your activity level changes and your clothing needs change accordingly. A few well-chosen layers allow you to regulate your temperature by making a few simple alterations depending on what is happening at the time. That might mean just putting on a hat or taking it off, opening a zipper to ventilate, or putting a wind shirt on or off. Or, it may mean putting on a down parka, balaclava, thermal pants and better gloves when you stop skiing and start sitting around cooking.

The whole idea is to get a nicely meshed and integrated system that's as verstaile, light and simple as you can make it, and that you are comfortable with using. That takes some experimenting.

By now, I'm sure Jim has his ideas honed down to a fine edge, knows exactly what to take on which trip, and it works like a treat for him. And it involves putting on or taking off certain items at certain times. If he doesn't want to call that "layering", that's his perogative; the jargon is irrelevant. What matters is what works.