Am reasonably certain we can talk Jim into trying this option. Naturally, pics will be demanded. eek

If the question is: "One thick, warm garment versus bunches of thinner garments when it's cold?" then I support the idea. Lots of layers tend to bind and bunch to the point they restrict movement. Think of Ralphie's little brother in "A Christmas Story." Mixed conditions call for a more flexible kit, which in my part of the globe means May-September.

IMHO the "best" insulating mid-layer--between, say, a long-sleeve mid-weight fleece shirt and a wind or rain jacket--is a smooth-shelled polyfill jacker or vest. It glides against the other layers and is less likely to bind. It also doesn't collect moisture yet, unlike fleece or pile, packs small. Down works too, but is a "safe" choice only where it's not relentlessly damp.

Originally Posted By Heather-ak
I broke down and got an insulated skirt this year - so much easier to put that on and off than the insulated pants. I can unzip it from the bottom to get enough room to ski. I have not used it for backpacking, though I plan on taking it with if I do any overnight snowmobiling.

http://www.skhoop.us/

Cheers,