Jim, you should hang out at some bushcrafting forums. Although there are people like me that like to mix the two completely different worlds of lightweight backpacking and bushcrafting, most don't. Bushcrafters generally try to go big on the "essentials" and small on everything else. Forget the stove, sleeping bag and tent. They bring a tarp, wool blanket and fire, then build a shelter for the night. They bring less food with the intent of foraging. Instead of a 1 pound frameless pack, they want a canvas frameless of the same volume, but 3 times the weight. They want a big knife, axe and saw for building that shelter and fire wood. Of course, they don't do big miles, mostly walk a few, and spend the rest of their time setting up camp and sitting in front of the fire carving. Or spending hours with a friction fire. I don't subscribe to a lot of the mentality, but I don't think they are wrong, just different. I do bring a big knife. For you guys it is big, for bushcrafters it is tiny, a mora. I use the heck out of the thing. I also use my scissors a lot.
To each their own, I guess.