A fun and interesting challenge! I think the answer is "it depends" --- on personal preferences, walking and camping 'style' issues, and particular gear choices.

Quote:
"Get into camp and I have to take off my pants, which means taking off shoes, to get my long johns on. Same with top layers. If the weather turns very cold (high mountain passes with wind) and I want to put on long johns, again the struggle. My rainpants also require me to take off shoes to get on. I find myself changing clothing a lot."

What stands out to me in this is that you're talking about below-the-waist clothing items, which are always a bigger PITA because you often have to remove footwear and either have an incredible sense of balance, or a sufficiently warm, dry, clean place to sit, and just generally more time. My solution is to rarely use rain pants, unless on winter day hikes where I'm okay carrying a heavier pair of full side-zip units. I rarely walk in long johns; if I use them at all it's to augment my sleep system at night, and in that context I'm likely in my tent and on a sleeping pad when I'm putting them on. For below-the-waist rain gear I like rain skirts unless it's pretty windy, or rain chaps (easier to put on literally one leg at a time). Or so very often nothing. If your upper body core is warm, the lower body can typically manage.

Proper sizing: amen to that, you do indeed need to select your outer layer(s) to allow inner layer(s) to loft. Shell too big: either get one that's properly sized or just make sure to really batten down all of the hatches. Or at least, that approach works for me.

It could also be a matter of body chemistry --- what works for me in terms of puffy clothing and the like might not be sufficient for you in the same conditions, so I don't mean to say that my personal experience is universally applicable (!).

In the "style" area, I'll add that in colder weather I tend to spend a lot of time with my lower body in my sleeping bag, which mitigates things a lot. Therefore for me the more important insulation by far is what's on the upper body.

Quote:
"I seem to have only two temperatures- hiking when I am warm enough not to need anything more than my hiking clothes and in camp where I need a lot (the minute I quit moving I get really cold)."

This certainly captures a lot of truth, but for me at least it's a little over simplified. I find it very helpful to have some flexibility to adjust warmth when I'm walking, both via stuff I put on my hands and head, and what's on my core. Going downhill (less body heat generation) and the wind picks up and maybe I hike down into a colder zone --- big difference from hiking steeply uphill with no wind. Rain, snow, hail, wind, all impact this of course.

For in-camp use I mostly agree with you, though one can certainly imagine a situation where a beefy coat is overkill while other clothing options are either wet or otherwise inadequate.

Carrying too much clothing is a key reason why folks have heavy pack weights; getting the right balance that fits both you personally and the particular conditions that you're in takes a fine balance of experience, wisdom, and luck.