Originally Posted By llamero
Maybe it's done the same on all Nikon DSLR cameras, I don't own one and I'm not familiar with them. I am shopping to purchase though. I'll be taking dozens or hundreds of photos on the trail and I want to be able to identify specific images for stitching into panoramas with computer software when I return home. Can someone explain how to change the file name of pictures as I take them? Sounds like it might be a hassle, hope not. Of course I could buy a camera like the Sony NEX 5N that creates panoramas as you shoot, but I like some of the other Nikon features.
Thanks

I shoot with a Sony A55 and use Photoshop CS5 to do the stitching. I always shoot left to right so they look correct in LR on the screen. You can also take a picture at the beginning and the end of the sequence with your hand in it to show the start, stop and direction of a pano. Don't forget to shoot in manual mode and manual focus or else the stitching can show through with the different exposure levels and focus points. Also shoot in portrait orientation to obtain the best chance for a good panorama.

Having said that, my Sony does do panoramas in camera. While it is simple and easy, I find that I can do a better job if I spend the time stitching together in Photoshop. I can take a number of RAW photos and tweak them. With in camera, I am only getting a JPG, and it is very wide.

Here is a stitched panorama of Cirque of the Towers in Wind River Range that I then filled in with Photoshop:

(RickD, Bridge does come with Photoshop CS3-6)

Edited by ndsol (11/10/12 12:02 PM)