Bridge is a graphic file manager bundled with the Adobe CS suite and maybe (don't know for sure) with Photoshop when purchased by itself. I think of it as a more sophisticated Windows Explorer/OSX Finder. Anyway, in Bridge you can select a group of photo files to stack, merge or make a panorama in Photoshop. The most obvious uses are panoramas and HDR photos. Folks also use it for focus stacking and astronomy.

Because Bridge is a graphical interface, you select groups of thumbnails and in practice you're working with consecutive frames. Because of that there's no need for source file renaming that I can think of, as your resulting pano or stack is saved under a new name. HDR requires autobracketing in the camera and panos generally incorporate sequential overlapping frames from some vantage point, so the source files will be adjacent on the monitor screen because of the workflow in the field.

I began using an Olympus E-M5 this last backpacking season and it's been great. I previously took dslrs day hiking or an advanced compact backpacking. The E-M5 is a whole new ballgame.

Hope this helps,

Originally Posted By llamero
Rick,
You lost me at Bridge. Is that Photoshop lingo?

I am hopeful that a Nikonian, or at least someone that speaks Nikonese, will come forward and explain how files are renamed and offer an opinion as to whether or not that is a suitable alternative to having a camera that does it's own stitching. Software is not a problem.

What camera do you use/prefer for backpacking photos?

Thanks