My base weight is 8 1/2 pounds, and that includes all my pocket stuff. I have actually carried 27 comfortably in my frameless one pound pack, but my more usual load is around 15 for a long weekend. Like Lori, mine has drawn a few laughs ("but that's a day pack", "your pack full weighs less than my food bag"), but for me, it's how I continue to hike. I mentioned that weight here once and was surprised that it was considered ultralight (I had thought that term meant five pounds or less).

Becoming UL is actually meaningless to me. Being able to continue hiking solid distances means a whole lot. I got there as many here have, a little at a time, replacing equipment as needed, reaching for the lightest version of each item.

I had a small advantage: I started hiking and camping when I had no money, and therefore very little gear, and therefor don't miss a lot of stuff. Worked briefly as a cowboy as a kid. When we were riding fence, our "camping gear" consisted of a poncho, the heavy wool saddle blanket, a fabric covered canteen, and a coffee can with a wire handle added. Oh, and a spoon and the boot knife we always carried.

I don't carry a whole lot more today, but each item is a lot lighter.

best, jcp