I bought a McMurdo Fastfind in July of last year, primarily at the insistence of my family. They don't think I should be doddering around in the hills without one at my age. Actually, I find myself comforted by having it along with me, so it is not just the family. I have carried it with me on several through hikes ranging from about 30- to nearly 100 miles since I bought it. It weighs five ounces.

I am leaving tomorrow for a late season two night trip in the local mountains and had planned on taking it with me again. I decided that before I left, I should do a system test, the first since late last year, and it failed the test. I have contacted the manufacturer but have not yet had a reply; it is, after all, a weekend. There is a five year warranty from date of purchase. At any rate, I have no idea whether it was working on my late August through-hike in the Sierra: I certainly hope so but am inclined to doubt it. I have no idea of when it died; clearly I need to be more diligent with my testing.

I have heard mostly good things about the McMurdo products so this was a bit of a surprise. I'll keep all on this forum advised. Meanwhile, I plan to take my cell phone with me and if that doesn't work, I'll yell really loud.

Beyond the above experiences, I don't know for sure how well they work in an emergency, and I hope I never have to find out. But, from what I hear anecdotally, they work just fine.