Conditions vary to much to generalize. Aim to go as light as you can, aim to replace worn out gear with lighter weight versions, do not compromise safety, scrutinize each item regarding its worth (benfit) vs weight (cost), experiment a little - try UL in a safe situation where you can bail out if needed. Depending on what you need, choose the lightest pack that still supports the weight. Go hike.

Sometimes I am "light", occassionally but rarely "UL", often on the lower weight of "traditional". My base weight changes for each different environment and my backpacking goals for each specific trip vary. Yes, a bottle of wine sometimes is a backpacking goal! I would not obsess over base weight or arbitrary weight classifications.

I once asked a knowledgable clerk at REI why they do not carry lighter weight gear, and they said it has to do with their 100% guarentee policy. People buy the light weight stuff, do not care for it properly, and return it. You really cannot just go to any outdoor store and buy a UL setup. It takes some research and finding specialty stores.

Going XUL can be very pricy. You have to decide if it is worth it or even needed for the type of backpacking you do. XUL is kind of specialized - needed for those who do LONG trips - 25-30 miles per day, day after day. As much as I would like a cuben fiber tent or tarp, it is not going to happen on my budget. UL gear is a bit more fragile. I do a lot of bushwacking and off-trail precluding for example, UL hiking pants. You have to consider replacement cost- buying new pants for each trip is not practical or affordable for me.

But everyone, within any budget, can gradually lighten their load and be open minded about new equipment and mindsets. It is an admirable goal.