I agree with W_D that the manufacturers' "maximum weight" is generally overstated. On the other hand, my pack (a discontinued model from Six Moon Designs, similar to but smaller than their Starlite) weighs 29 oz. and I have carried up to 37 lbs. in it (the max listed on the website is 35). It's not a frameless pack unless you take out the "optional" (mandatary, IMHO) stays. My shoulders, back and hips were fine, but my knees and feet were screaming! After that trip (which was to sprinkle a relative's ashes, which accounted for 11 lbs. of the weight) I changed the place I want mine disposed of to 3 miles from the trailhead!

The current maximum total weight that I can carry is about 25 lbs, preferably nearer 20. My current base weight is 12 lbs, including fishing gear and my camera. This includes everything I need for my comfort and safety on 3-season trips (including high altitude in the Rockies). Of course, what I'm comfortable with may be too spartan for some and too luxurious for others. Also note that the amount of base weight is going to differ depending on environmental conditions--it's definitely not a case of one list fits all!

I well remember starting out on a 9-day trip in the North Cascades with a 50-lb. pack, back in 1987. I still don't know how I managed it! The next spring I managed to tear nearly all the ligaments in one knee while X-C skiing, which meant I had to give up backpacking (except for a few very short overnighters) until I found this site. That's why I'm so grateful to this site and particularly the articles on the home page. They changed my life!

Edited by OregonMouse (10/31/12 07:18 PM)