Weight carried and comfort are influenced by the pack design. Even UL hikers can have an uncomfortable pack if they load it up with more weight (food etc) than the pack is designed to carry. I ran across a UL PCT hiker who was absolutely miserable adding a 12-day ration to his UL pack. Up the trail I ran into another PCT hiker with the recently resupplied 12 days of food but heavier pack designed for the weight and she was having a pleasant hike. Be sure to match your load with the pack. Advertised "comfort to xx pounds" are, in my opinion, highly exaggerated. If it says 40#, probably good to 35, maybe only 30. I actually have three packs and switch between them. Additionally HOW you pack the pack (weight distribution) also makes a differenece, more so as the pack gets heavier.

I do not think you can peg UL to a specific weight. Different geographical areas have different equipment requirements, as do different seasons require different stuff.

For the perspective of what we carried in the 1960's, you youngsters do not even KNOW what heavy is! We have come a long way baby! Thank goodness. And if you really want to see what heavy is, try back country alpine technical climbing.

Just a question- do any of you count the clothing you wear and trekking poles as base weight?