I think there are just a whole lot of books out there already that boil down to "the story of my thru-hike", and every year I'm pretty sure that more people who do a thru-hike feel the urge to write yet another book about it. It's such an amazing experience for them that it's easy to overlook the fact that hundreds of people do a multi-month thru-hike every year.

Maybe the CDT could use another book (and/or film); there are a ton for the AT and quite a number for the PCT too. Unless you're a known author (like Bryson) or manage somehow to get good marketing (Strayed), I don't think there's likely to be a very good market for such. The right author with the right approach might well prove me wrong (and I hope so).

I'd say also that writing is a craft that for at least most people takes a great deal of work and practice to even begin to get good at. I think I'm just smart enough to know that I can't sit down and casually dash off the great American novel on my first try --- far from it.

All that said, I have been working on a different kind of book, partly as a sort of bucket-list thing and partly because I see at least a small niche available that perhaps even I can do at least an okay job at (?). The great thing about the age of ePublishing is that the barriers to becoming an "author" are much lower. The awful thing about it is the same thing of course --- with the result that a whole lot of poorly conceived, poorly written, and/or poorly (or just not) edited "books" are out there now in the ePublishing world.

I'm hoping to add one to that ocean by the end of this year. A fun project anyway!