I agree with Jim. The moderators are now discussing this among ourselves and if need be we will take action to maintain the intent and spirit of these forums. Some of us have been here a long time, which is how we got to be moderators in the first place. We don't have any vested interest other than having an enjoyable place to meet online and discuss hiking and backpacking.

We recognize that this site has members with varied backgrounds and levels of experience, but no one is right 100% of the time and constantly belittling others for their opinions is not what we want to see here. If someone is factually wrong, fine, let's see a correction, but if someone does something differently than you do, that does not mean they are fair game for personal attacks by anyone here, regardless of how long you have been a member or what you know.

If you think you are right and I disagree with you, I will point out why you are, in my opinion, wrong. BUT, that doesn't make you a bad person or me superior to you just because we disagree. The only exception I would make is if I read something that I know is wrong and if followed by a newbie, could, in my opinion endanger them. Then I will be more agressive in pointing out why that particular piece of advice should not be followed.

My advice-read what you post before you post it. If it isn't something you would like to see written about you, don't post it here. There are plenty of other sites that revel in name calling and all of that, so go find one of them.