Jimshaw,
I carry a gun for one reason, a cop is too heavy to carry. And I mean that in a halfway serious way. I started training and shooting handguns (rifles and shotguns as a teenager) when I joined the military. I have untold thousands of hours at the range, both civilian and military, and many, many hours in CQC (indoor close quarter combat) buildings.

I think there is a common misconception, that everyone who has a concealed carry permit (here in KY you can open carry if you want) is some kind of wild eyed raving lunatic, "just itchin to do me some killin", redneck.

Far from it. Most people I know, make that everyone I know, who has a CCW permit, first of all, well you'd probably never know it, and second they are probably a lot more well trained on when not to shoot, than when to shoot. So I think that we've (those who choose to carry) been watered down here a bit, into something too simple, as to having the same mentality as the people we want to defend ourselves from. This is what the media would like you to believe.

The problem lies with those who want to do me harm. You see, they also carry concealed. Never in the open. Mostly because they have criminal histories, and can't legally have a gun. Many around here are not U.S. citizens, and they don't get a CCW, either.

I shoot with a lot of cops. Just as many more cops do as little range practice as possible, just enough to meet their departments requirements.

I have had to brandish my firearm (outside the military) one time. I would have been well within my legal rights to have shot the individual, but said individual was caught completely off guard, was visibly very shaken, and decided to concede the fight, and I let him go his own way, then dialed 911, and waited by the roadside until a Sheriff's deputy came, took a description, had me sign a short witness statement, showed him my CCW permit, and I never heard anything else about it.

Had I not presented my weapon in defense, would the scumbag have shot me? I'd say maybe, I don't know. But I would hate to be laying on the ground, bleeding out, wishing I had used a show of force, and thinking of that as my last thoughts before I died.

So, my position is this. If you choose, for whatever reason under the sun, not to carry a weapon, then I support your decision 100%. Not only is that your right, but you are also no threat to me.

The police? Well, if there happens to be one standing nearby, I doubt that unless the "bad guy" is suicidal, he/she, are going to walk on by and look for another victim. Again, no threat there. Unfortunately, there aren't enough law enforcement in the world to safely guard everyone. Law enforcement usually responds to crimes already commited, or if they can get on the scene quickly enough, crimes in progress. But, they are more typically 1st responders to a violent crime already commited.

Lastly, I could walk right by you a hundred times a day, and you'd never know that I was armed, well trained, and well disciplined. If you shoot someone, even in rightous self-defense , there IS going to be a review by the prosecutor, and you still may have to defend yourself in a court of law. So the notion that people who carry gun's are wild eyed, quick on the trigger, wannabe cowboys is way off the mark. Are there those types out there. Certainly. But there are airline pilots who try to board and pilot aircraft while under the influence of alcohol. There are dirty cops. There's been prominent firemen caught in the act of arson, just for the sole purpose of trying to self-promote. There are Doctors who prescribe powerful drugs as a way to riches. And the list goes on and on. There is bad in every group.

The world isn't as simple as black and white. And that world consists of bad guys who would rape your wife in front of you, shoot your kids, and save you for last, just for the personal enjoyment of it all. Sick, sad, but true.

I hope I never meet that person. And I sincerely hope I never, ever have to "kill" anything other than a cold beer, or can of soda. But if it comes down to me or the bad guy, I'm going to put him down first, if at all possible. It's just as simple as that. It's not political, it's not an issue of morality, it's just pure human survival instinct. If you feel that you can't, won't or never would shoot in a situation, no matter what, there is not the need or reason to jump through the legal hoops, get a background check, (here, we also have to get the permission from the top cop in the area, usually the Sheriff's dept, take the time to obtain professional training, and continue that training, there's no reason for you to even bother in the first place.

I don't think it's an ideological ot political discussion, I know several on the far left, almost to the extreme, who carry concealed. I don't think survival is a "moral" issue, either. It's a mature choice for mature people, and with it (choosing to own and carry a firearm) definetley puts the onus of responsibility on the legal firearm owner. It's just that simple. I would never judge you or anyone else as to whether or not you choose to carry a weapon for self defense.

J.