Originally Posted By mberney

What are the main items you always bring while hiking, do any need more attention to protection or access?

Map, compass, snacks, water, first aid kit, rain gear, camera, knife, flashlight, sunglasses, bear spray. All these items need quick access.

Are there any common occurrences/annoyances that you deal with hiking that you could design a solution to? (For example having trouble finding an item at the bottom of a pack)

Like I said in a previous post...I don't like to have to stop and get stuff out of my pack. So, I carry items in front of me. Most of the items I listed above, I carry in front of me. Except my FAK, which I carry on the top of my pack. If I use it, I will have dropped my pack, so no need to carry it up front.

Do your kids prefer having their own pack or do they prefer for their parents to hold some of their items?

They prefer their own pack. But, I carry most of their stuff, depending on their age. If they are over 8, then they carry their sleeping bag and clothes, along with snacks and a water bottle. If they are younger, then they carry snacks and water, rain gear, and maybe a light jacket.