Originally Posted By mberney
Do you guys think there is more of a necessity for a pack that makes accessing goods easier or a pack that has detachable smaller packs for kids. My project is currently at a stopping point, because I am unsure whether the main problem in family hiking is locating and accessing items or if it is sharing the burden/weight and responsibility of items with multiple/detachable packs.

I wouldn't buy a pack with multiple detachable packs. The packs my kids use change over time as they grow, and the number of kids change, based on the particular trip. Having a pack that I can lash on other packs is important though. But, I use an external frame when I hike with my kids, so that one is easy without any modifications. However, accessing items is something that needs to be addressed, regardless if you are family backpacking or not. I don't like to have to set down my pack, open a pocket, get out an item, then put it back, and put back on my pack. I also don't like asking others to get an item. I would rather just stand there, or continue walking, and access an item, then put it back, all without reaching around or taking off my pack.