It's de facto that you'll "overbuy" for the occasional heavy load and as a result, will be toting more pack than you technically needs the rest of the time. This means more weight, but is probably unavoidable.

A concern I'd have is what your upper volume needs to be for those occasional extra loads. 40+ pounds implies lots of extra food and/or clothing, a desert camping water supply, or a bombproof winter shelter. Except perhaps for a lot of extra water, a 45-50L pack probably isn't going to handle the excess bulk, at least not inside.

Do you have all the gear you're already planning on toting? Might be worthwhile assembling it, and a supply load, to figure out the volume as well as weight.

An efficient frame-type suspension and substantial hipbelt that fits perfectly are key to lugging lots of weight. How the pack contours along your back and hugs your shoulders determines your control of the load's center of gravity--closer is better. Bigger packs generally have very complex and adjustable load control, so being fitted by an expert is quite important.

One pack I own can reasonably handle 40+ pounds--a discontinued 60L Osprey. It's not terribly heavy and has load control straps to make it smaller as food gets used--important for load control on long trips. My suspicion is you'll need to look in the 60-65L range.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By StylesTW
Hi,
Thank you for stopping by and trying to help out.

I need your advice and help of experts like yourself in choosing the right backpack to meet my application.

I'm looking for a 45-50 liter backpack to use in both climbing and hiking. I'm new to hiking and buying a lot of the equipment to camp outdoors but having a problem choosing the right backpack. I've tried some backpacks at REI but haven't found something comfortable enough.

What The Backpack Needs To Do:
-Hold around 30LB's, but ability to hold 40lb's if it had to.
-Be very comfortable, this is very important.
-Be as water resistant/waterproof as possible.
-Be bombproof, strong material that will last many years. This is very important and the most important.

I like Arcteryx backpacks because the materials they use are strong, but the prices are very high.

I've looked at and want to try the Golite Jam 50, Marmot Drakon 45, The North Face Prophet and Black Diamond Epic 45. They all look like good options in particular the Black Diamond Epic 45 which has the moving hipbelt but I'm not sure how bombproof is the material. The Golite Jam 50 is very light which sounds like it might be very flimsy but I hear is made out of dyneema which if is anything like the climbing slings I use made out of the same material, it might be bombproof.

As you can see, I'm a bit lost as to what to get. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

I broke my tailbone when I was younger and always had some back pain which makes some of the backpacks that use systems that transfer all the weight to the hip very uncomfortable and painful. I think I would like something that uses all of my back and shoulder, and not the hip alone to transfer weight.

Thanks.