I have a Hiker Pro (second one, the first one cracked around the outlet hose in such a way that the hose was coming loose, so I got another). Also a gravity filter, also a Sawyer Squeeze.

The Hiker Pro is reliable and the first one used to death. The gravity filter goes where there's plenty of water, and on long trips, as I can also use it as a shower - with no moving parts to break it's pretty simple and goof proof (uses a platypus cleanstream inline, backflushable).

The Squeeze has not leaked - one of the few people who've tried it who hasn't had problems, I suppose. But it's not the most flexible of the options. Hard to fill the reservoir from a puddle.

A friend traded in the Vario for a lighter filter - there are lots of options, all about the same in terms of the end result. A companion on the last trip had a Hyperflow that seemed to work well for him. There were lots of problems with that one initially. Perhaps MSR worked out the kinks.

http://hikeandbackpack.com