Originally Posted By finallyME
Katadyn makes some good products. I have never used that one, but am sure it will serve you well, and do what you want it to do. However, I will recommend another filter. Since you haven't bought it yet, it won't hurt to look at alternatives.

Here are some specs I pulled up for the Vario:
weight: 1 lb 2 oz
pore size: 0.3 micron (the smaller the better)
cartridge life : 500 gallons. 200 liters for carbon
price: $95
filter element replacement price: $45

Here are some specs for the Sawyer Squeeze/all in one
weight: Squeeze-3 oz, all in one-10 oz
pore size: 0.1 micron
cartridge life: there is a million gallon guarantee, but with good backflushing, it should last indefinitely.
Price: Squeeze- $60, all in one-$70.
filter element replacement price: n/a
The all in one is the same as the squeeze, with more attachments. You do have to figure in the price of another bag, since their bags suck. A platypus or equivalent work great.

Anyways, like I said, the Katadyn is a great product. But, there might be better options out there for you to look at.

I used both!! Haha. I've used the Vario a lot longer than the Sawyers at this point and neither one of them has gotten me sick. (Cannot stress the importance of this!!) The Sawyers was a gift and I like it so far, but only limitation I see with Sawyers is if you're somewhere there is weak water flow. Pump filter will excel in this situation and I thought about going mad science on creating me a pump for the Sawyers. I haven't got around to it, yet. laugh I've also already poked a hole in one of the bags the Sawyers came in. The biggest selling point for the Sawyers is the weight and million gallon guaranteed with no extra expenses spent on cartridge. That why I think it a conspiracy the bags are extremely flimsy so they can get continuous revenue from people who will purchase a new bag as they destroy them. laugh

Edited by ETSU Pride (10/11/12 01:55 PM)