Wanting to get into real backpacking instead of setting up a campsite at a state park.

We've replaced my dome tent with a Copper Spur for the 3 of us and we really like it, though I'm the one who carries it. Having cut the weight in half is quite nice!

The 3rd person is our soon to be 4 yr old daughter who keeps us up 'til the wee hours giggling about sleeping in the tent. We found making her do her own walking and skipping nap time is necessary for a good night's sleep. wink

We have been talking about trying to take a month to hike a trail, most likely the Continental Divide, but possibly the Appalachian Trail. But we agree on mountains, and the Rockies are our favorite.

I see mountaineering or 4 season tents and wonder what exactly makes it geared for such. Is a Copper Spur good enough such a task? How about for late fall/early winter (hunting) in the mountains (mid elevation) when the weather won't be extreme (says the meteorologist)?

Edited by rodwha (10/07/12 08:45 PM)

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day