For me one pound makes a huge difference IF it is within my "critical range". I think everyone has a break-over point where the pack goes from comfortable to uncomfortable. In other words, I do not think it is comfort and weight are linerally related. This may have a lot to do with your specific pack's suspension system. This summer I started out with abot 38 pounds. Reducing by about 1.5 pounds per day (food, fuel, consumables) I must say that day 2 and 3 were just as miserable as day 1. But at about day 4 and definitely at day 5, all of a sudden the pack was much more comfortable. Then as it got lighter, it made less difference.

Another factor is your weight. My pack weight, as a percentage of my body wight is more than for the average size backpacker.

Also, one of the easiest way to reduce weight is to carry less water. It does not take much water to equal a pound. There are some really light low-volume filters that would work well if you are not inclined to drink directly out of streams. You could use chlorine tabs for your larger volume in-camp water supply and the filter for day use, carrying only half a liter or so water just in case. Depends on where you backpack.

And I also think excess body weight is like carrying extra in your pack. If overweight, loosing 5 pounds before your trip may do more than counting grams in gear choices.