Weight is important to me. At 76, with creaky and somewhat arthritic joints, plus a mostly reconstructed knee, I can't carry even a moderately heavy pack. With my pack as it is, every pound I save on base weight (everything but the items that vary with length of trip, food, fuel and water) means I can stay out another day without resupply. Being able to go out for 8-10 days is important to me. Of course, if I'm going out for only 2-3 days, weight is far less important and I can add fresh fruit or whatever else seems important at the time, or just enjoy a 15-pound pack.

Even so, there is a question of materiality, to say nothing of the law of diminishing returns! (Sorry, another accountant here!) While I have saved two pounds by reducing or eliminating individual "small" (non-"big 4" and non-clothing) items by anywhere from 0.5 to 5.0 ounces, at some point that sort of thing becomes a horrendous effort for the minute amount of weight saved.

I have used the gram function on my digital scale on occasion. Sometimes it's to count calories in my food, since nutrition tables list kcal/gram. I did once use it to evaluate the individual items in my first aid kit. Mostly, though, I use it for cooking from European recipes (all of which are by weight, not volume, and of course metric) in my own kitchen!

Edited by OregonMouse (09/27/12 07:24 PM)