I was thinking about what Lori said in a previous thread where, "shedding ounces adds up to pounds." While it's particular true that ounces can add up to pound of weight loss, but my thought took a different spin at it. See, in accounting a error of say, 5 bucks is highly immaterial to have a significant impact on a financial statements, therefore, no need to disclose the error to investors. So, in backpacking say you can shed 16 ounces of miscellaneous, such as the plastic case for Pocket Rocket, a stuff sack for a tarp, taking less toilet papers, smaller first aid kit, etc but the entire weight of the items you shed is now 1 pound. Your weight has drop from 18 pounds to 17 pounds. (just throwing random numbers out for simplicity.) Is the one pound decrease in weight such a material impact on your body when hiking? Are you really going to noticed a 1 pound lightness to your pack without looking at a scale? Is looking at the decrease in weight on a scale cause a placebo effect in thinking your pack is lighter on you?

Granted if the weight decreased by 5 pounds or more you could feel your pack being lighter without a scale. If it just small items such as no stuff sack, the plastic case, etc I don't see how anyone can feel a material impact. I'm not laughing at Lori's comment or anyone else with the same philosophy in being a gram counter, I'm just curious/fascinated by people shedding 1 ounce of items in hoping to achieve a total pound of items shed, if you can truly feel a difference.

I plan to get lighter hammock down the road, lighter tent, a titanium mug, etc and I believe those could cause a material difference in pack weight. I just find hard time noticing difference between no plastic case for my Pocket Rocket, no stuff sack for my tarp and et cetera.

This might thread might be entertaining. grin

Edit: I just realized I did buy a solid fuel stove as a backup, so I wouldn't have to carry an extra fuel can. While there is a 4 ounce weight difference in a full fuel can and 4 cubes and the pot support, I still cannot feel the difference on my back. I just noticed a decrease in volume since a fuel can is bigger than solid fuel stove.

Edited by ETSU Pride (09/27/12 10:48 AM)