Quote:
in all serious though if I every make it out to AK for some fly fishing. You better believe one of us will be packing.

I'd suppose I'd just tend to stay away from where the bears are fishing. I'd just kind of figure they have rights and are strict about not being infringed upon.

It's kind of like deer season here. It sucks because those two weeks are prime time for backpacking, but I don't go then. I let the hunters alone, it's their time and place, they have rights and they own them.

I found this interesting in the link you provided:

"As i am not aware of any bear attacks on a group of 3 or more ever in the state of Alaska. 94% of the time it is a single individual either jogging-biking or hunting and they startle a bear and they are attacked."

That's profound, and it's no accident or statistical anomaly either. Those bears know when they're outnumbered. That being the case, I might want to travel with at least two buddies and make it point to stay close together.

And this:

"As many Bear viewing guides in the state know bears often donīt even look up as they walk the well worn paths of rivers and lakes."

People tend to hike like that too, and it would suck to run head on into a bear that was doing it.

Edited by billstephenson (09/15/12 11:37 AM)
Edit Reason: added a bit...

"You want to go where?"