Originally Posted By TomD
Bears come out of the forest surrounding the foothill communities in LA regularly.

It might surprise people to know the same thing happens in Tallahassee, Florida. About once every year or two a habituated bear makes the local paper for its antics in town. South of town a small bear knocked a bicyclist over on a paved bike path about 2 years ago. It is believed the bear didn't intend to charge; it just wasn't paying attention. I don't know how they know that.

I've only met bears twice in the woods. Once while hiking along the AT along the TN/NC border. Another time in AK while walking a trail in the McCarthy-Kennicot area. Both times the bear looked right at me (within 50 yards I might add) and sauntered back into the woods. When I was a kid I once saw a polar bear in Churchhill, MB but that was near the town dump and we were trying to spot a bear.

To answer the OP's question, I only go into the National Forest (south of Tallahassee) during the winter when it is nice to hike. I invariably see hunters carrying rifles. I have never noticed a handgun. I'm not commenting on their legality, just saying I haven't seen one.