Just curious DT, did you even read any of the article? You don't have to agree with it, but going through it was interesting I thought. The part I thought most interesting was bear behavior.

Hitting the head will not always drop the bear on the spot. I personally do not hunt bear, but have befriended many who do. One such group hunted grizzly in Montana with sidearms. These guys were drooling for tags. The side kill zone is obvious to any who hunt, and the frontal kill zone in the article seemed to match what they told me was the kill zone for them. But bullets can bounce off their heads at times. Also, some friends who hunt with rifles have hit the target square in the head only to have the brown bear travel almost 13 miles before it dropped. From everything I have heard, one shot is all you will likely get. This is all from people I would trust with my life. I have personally hunted deer and elk, but now only game birds with my avitar.

Also from what I have heard, brown bears usually know when someone is hunting them. That might make a big difference in their behavior, being hunted vs an encounter with a human. What experience I have with them lets me know that they are smart.

Edited by skcreidc (09/12/12 12:08 PM)