I now (since Hysson's last checkup) have run into kidney issues with my dog's food. Unfortunately, all the kidney prescription diets contain grains to which Hysson is allergic. I therefore am diluting his regular kibble with cooked brown rice and veggies to reduce the total protein level of his diet to approximately 20% crude protein and also to lower the phosphorus levels. This works fine at home, but I'm still working out how to do this for backpacking. I'll cook and then dehydrate the rice along with the veggies (canned pumpkin works great, and is also high in potassium which is good), and will probably rehydrate both his dinner and the following day's breakfast each night (I'll have to carry more stove fuel!). Fortunately, Hyssons BUN (blood urea nitrogen) and creatinine levels went back to normal after a month on his new diet, so he's not, after all, in imminent danger of kidney failure. But it was a warning!

It is a good idea to reduce the protein and phosphorus levels for older dogs. While the low protein diet that used to be recommended is now not considered a good idea, most authorities recommend a 20% protein limit. I had thought to try Canidae Silver, but it contains oats, another item to which Hysson is allergic. I guess I'm stuck with dehydrating and rehydrating! What we do for our dogs!

Edited by OregonMouse (09/12/12 12:34 AM)