I agree with Lori - freestanding is highly overrated. There have been only two times when I was glad I had a "freestanding" tent (and it wasn't raining either time, so I didn't have to deal with a fly and vestibule that couldn't be staked out.)

The first time was when, arriving at the trailhead late at night, I had to spend the first night of the trip in a public campground that had raised, tamped-gravel tent pads that I could not force a stake into.

The second was one night when I camped on an open sandstone ledge, where there was also no way to sink a stake. (I won't say where this was; suffice it to say when I posed a theoretical question to a ranger, he smiled knowingly and said, "Sometimes it's easier to grant forgiveness than permission.")

Beyond that, I've always staked a tent down. I have seen one tent, pitched in freestanding mode, get blown into a pond by a gust of wind. (There was no gear in it to weight it down.) The entertainment value of watching the owner wade in after it was quite high.