Obedience training! It will take multiple classes--for each level, one session to teach you and a second to teach your dog. My Hysson graduated from his level one class in one try, at the head of his class. To make up for his precocious start, it took four classes at the second level before they'd let him go on to the third, which was all off-leash. Hysson regarded having his leash removed as an invitation to go play with the other dogs. He went on, though, to pass Level 4 and get his Canine Good Citizen certification (a hard test to pass!). A beginning agility class (once the dog is mature enough, see below) is an excellent idea for a hiking dog--any dog that is confident going through tunnels and walking over a teeter-totter will have no problems with log creek crossings and deadfall on the trail.

Crate training, in addition to being the best way to house-break when you can't watch the pup constantly, really trains the dog to relax and sleep contentedly when in the tent.

Border collies are a high-energy dog which need lots and lots of exercise. A bored dog is a problem dog, with any breed. Please put a stop to the car-chasing ASAP before you lose the pup!

I am really sold on the Premier Pet Products Gentle Leader for training; it's far more effective than the "choke" training collar (which can cause a ruptured larynx). If possible, get the complete kit from them which includes an excellent booklet.

Go easy on long difficult hikes and avoid packs (unless empty) until the pup is fully mature--it's wear and tear and possible injury to immature joints that is the issue. The age of maturity varies with size and breed of dog. With Labs and Goldens (my dog is a mix of the two), it's 2 years old. Consult your vet for your breed.

Of course, the price for all this dog advice is cute puppy pictures!!! Please!

Right now my Hysson looks really weird because he had a bunch of skin growths removed a few weeks ago. The best I can describe it is that his coat looks like an aerial view of a forest full of clear-cuts!