I don't have experience with the EE quilts but I did use a ray-way quilt on my last camping trip, and had always used traditional sleeping bags before that. One thing for me that I was not sure about was the fact that I usually sleep in underwear and that put me directly on my sleeping pad which was ok. I might be worried about that in very low temp's but in those cases I could wear a base layer.

I don't see a downside myself, and there is a big upside in weight savings and cost too it seems.

Otherwise the quilt worked great. I am a restless sleeper and the freedom of movement was nice.

Recently I e-mailed Jacks are Better and Enlightened Equipment to get some feedback from them since I was considering their quilts and also the golite quilt. Tim with EE replied immediatly and answered all questions to follow, JRB never replied. If/when I order a quilt I plan to go with a E.E. quilt. For myself, I think the 30F Relevation X in long/wide was right at $200 and I am sure it would function fine as a 3 maybe 4 season quilt, and weighs right at 21oz, I feel like that is a great value.