Thanks everyone for the great information! I will be sure to meet with mom and scout before we leave, find out what his plan is and what his back-up plan is. I will make sure to pack in some electrolyte mix (I have Emergen-C) because even though it is unlikely to be hot (We're in Alaska), we all may sweat more than we'd expect.

I have learned about diabetes in my wilderness first aid and WFR classes years ago... we were told to carry a tube of icing or a tube of honey because both can be squeezed into a mouth and do not require swallowing to be absorbed. I don't remember if it was "standard" curricula or if it was added by the instructor.

Any change in behavior (somnolent, confused, or agitated) can be a blood sugar problem, even if the person doesn't have diabetes. If there is no reason to suspect a head injury, the next easy thing to check is sugar/electrolyte. Heat can cause similar symptoms so you just go through a mental list of the things that might cause a behavior change... it is either going to be chemical in one way or another (toxin, sugar, electrolyte), thermal or electrical (which would generally be unconscious as the form of altered mentation).

MNS