Hello DieselTwitch,

I have both the Yaesu 817 and 857 and have been pretty happy with them. However, the 857 is heavy for backpacking, current consumption on receive is even higher than the 817, and you probably wouldn't want to utilize the 100 watt capability of the 857 unless you were willing to lug more batteries.

The 817 is a good unit, but still a compromise, and there are other options out there.
The good: All HF band, all mode, 5 watts out, very compact, at least fairly rugged, many owners/proponents which means lots of good information on optimizing usage is out on the web. The bad: High power consumption on receive, weighs 2.5 pounds, no internal ATU. There are umpteen tricks for reducing power consumption (Google FT817 power consumption) that several hams have documented.

That said, I agree with Dryer about building one. I don't have any experience with the MFJ Cub, but I've built a Small Wonder Labs monoband SW model (not available now but supposed to be available after re-design) and an Elecraft KX-1. The SWL was inexpensive and a relatively easy build. The KX-1 was pricier, but 3-band (4 available now) with a built-in ATU available. The KX-1 is not a good first build, and the SWL is an easier build. These are both CW only, but if you're backpacking with it, for the sake of rig weight, power consumption and getting your signal out, CW is a really good way to go. This is personal for me, but having a QSO on something that I built is a real kick.

If you don't have time to build, Youkits has the HB-2B 4-band available for $299, built and tested, and it's sub-pound, but I haven't had my hands on one. Also CW-only.

If you want voice capability, the new Elecraft KX-3 will do all HF-bands and all modes for 1 pound less than the 817, and lower power consumption. That's my current dream rig, but note that it's pricier than the 817.

RE antennas: I've got an Alexloop walkham (small hand-held loop) for granite summits with lousy ground and 40 meters through 10; expensive and not as efficient as a dipole, but sets up on a summit in 5 min or under. I also have several PAR end fed halfwave mono bands for when I have trees or a mast. If you have multiple supports (e.g., trees) available, a do-it-yourself wire dipole is efficient, light, cheap, easy, and educational.

For more info, I've found the FT817, HFPack, NASOTA Yahoo groups to be informative, as well as the SOTAWatch reflector.

Hope this helps,

Paul - N1ZF