Perspective
When I read the gear lists from vets it makes me think we are going off on patrol and we will need everything in case we get into a firefight and get pinned down for a few days before we can get air support.

When we only occasionally go camping we have a lot of time to over prepare for "anything that might happen". I learned a long time ago that if you are really prepared for everything you won't be able to pick up your pack.

So though I go the list and stuff when I backpack, I live in the mountains and I might go for a "hike" to the same place that I "backpack" only I might only carry a lighter and a bottle of water for my "hike". Obviously I have a great span between what I would carry to the same place depending on whether I call it a hike or backpacking. frown

I could go backpacking to that spot with just my hiking gear, but once I was in camp I might get hungry and want to be warm for the night. A candy bar and sleeping bag would fix that, so EVERYTHING else in my backpack is for my comfort only.

Think about that night you and your buddies went out on your graduation "infiltration" sneak into some town near your military base. You had what? nothing but you base uniform and one guy carried a radio. Think "survival camping" and your pack will be lighter - if you carry one.

Jim smile