Lostagain,

I've thru-hiked twice, and never carried a tent.

The first time, I used an Integral Designs bivy (South Col -- about 26-28 oz) and a commercial nylon poncho that prolly weighed about a pound. I was using an old Kelty external frame pack (around five pounds).

Second time I had a Mountain Laurel Designs (MLD) bivy (about six oz.) and an MLD sylnylon poncho (slightly oversize to use as occasional shelter -- about 12 oz.). I was using a Lowe Alpine pack (Contour Mountain 40 litres and around two pounds). One surprised hiker called it a daypack, but I never ran out of room.

Since one usually needs to camp near water, and that's where the shelters are, I spent many nights in them, glad for bivy bags, but no need for tent.

Something less than half the nights (both trips) I slept away from shelters, and I was fine. On the first trip, I got caught in an absolutely sluicing downpour of several hours, with my poncho otherwise occupied. I got a couple of tablespoons of water in the ID bivy, and slept through most of it.

Worst night of second trip, it went down well below freezing and blew sleet sideways when I was well away from a shelter. I pitched my poncho on my poles (pup tent style) and tight to the ground. Other than the hassel trying to get in and out, I was again fully comfortable (and asleep) the whole night.

I now carry a similar kit, but in a slightly smaller, custom made MLD pack which I think is about 30 - 35 litres and weighs about a pound (the pack can be smaller - and lighter - since I invested in a Neoair pad).

I guess my advice would be to buy (or just sew) a light sylnylon tarp (or poncho) to go with your bivy, forget the tent altogether and lose (LOSE SINE DIE) that 70 litre pack (and do not leave a forwarding address).

Incidentally, the ability to stay cool is more important than the ability to stay warm. You'll have only a few cold nights at the beginning, and then a few weeks of cold nights at the end (and you'll have the opportunity to reequip -- like we all do -- before you start the Whites)

Best for your trip. If I can help with anything else, let me know. jcp

Edited by JPete (07/03/12 03:23 PM)